US - CHINA's South China Sea conflict, a source of great concern
China's foreign ministry Wednesday voiced 'serious
concerns' over a US official's remarks regarding an alleged Pentagon plan to
send US military aircraft and vessels to the South China Sea. Analysts
cautioned that the possible US military move could disrupt regional stability
and trigger dangerous confrontations in the region. Foreign ministry spokeswoman
Hua Chunying told a press briefing on Wednesday in Beijing that the US side
should clarify those remarks.
China has always advocated freedom of navigation in
the South China Sea, Hua said. 'But freedom of navigation does not give one
country's military aircraft and ships free access to another country's
territorial waters and airspace.'
US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter had apparently
requested options that include sending aircraft and ships to within 12 nautical
miles (22 kilometers) around Chinese islets near the Nansha Islands in the
South China Sea, according to Reuters, sourcing an anonymous official. The
official said that the plan is to 'assert freedom of navigation' in the area
and would need White House approval. Carter's request was first reported
earlier on Tuesday by the Wall Street Journal, which said one option was to fly
US navy surveillance aircraft over the islands.
China will resolutely safeguard its territorial
sovereignty, Hua said, urging the US side not to take any risks or make any
provocations so as to maintain regional peace and stability.
The US government has yet to make any comments about
the possible plan.
Jin Canrong, a deputy dean of the School of
International Studies at the Renmin University of China, told the Global Times
that the US government must know the consequences of any such plan, as it could
be reckless and involve great risk.
'If the plan is implemented, China for sure will make
counter-measures, such as driving US military aircraft and vessels away with
force,' Jin said. 'The US must realize that a majority of ASEAN countries do
not want the US to destroy regional stability.'
Zhuang Guotu, head of the Center of Southeast Asian
Studies at Xiamen University, however, said that the possibility of White House
approval cannot be completely ruled out.
If the White House approves the plan, it could
directly jeopardize China's territorial sovereignty, Zhuang told the Global
Times.
'The US may also want to show support to its Asian
allies, such as the Philippines, which has disputes with China in the South
China Sea,' Zhuang said.
The Philippine military invited foreign journalists
to visit Zhongye Island, part of the Nansha Islands, by military plane on
Monday.
Hua criticized the move on Tuesday, saying that the
attempt shows the Philippines is the real rule-breaker and that its attempt to
seize maritime features of China's Nansha Islands is futile.
China gave a clear explanation in April this year
over its construction work on some of the islands, saying that the country's
purpose is to strengthen the functions of those islands and reefs, and improve
the working and living conditions of personnel stationed on them.
It will also help China better carry out
international responsibilities in maritime search and rescue, disaster
prevention and mitigation, marine science and research, navigation safety, and
in many other areas.
Li Haidong, a professor at the China Foreign Affairs
University, said that statements suggesting a US military presence in the South
China Sea firmly demonstrate that 'the US wants to dominate the Asia-Pacific
region.'
The US has targeted China's construction work in
disputed South China Sea areas in the past. US President Barack Obama said
ahead of the Summit of the Americas in Panama in April that he was 'concerned'
that 'China pushes around smaller countries in the region.'
Li noted that the increased targeting of South China
Sea issues reflects that Sino-US relations are becoming more tense as the US is
concerned China has already become a threat to its global dominance.
'The US now tends to hold a tougher stance toward
China and it is possible that it will adjust its diplomatic strategy in the
future,' Li said. 'However, the US must realize that such a tough stance will
only lead to failure.'
Meanwhile, US Secretary of State John Kerry is
scheduled to visit China during the weekend. Observers believe that South China
Sea issues could be on the agenda.
For further readin, visit this link:http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/south-china-sea.htm
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home